No Permits Will Be Issued In An Easement.
These examples below are meant as general guidelines and are subject to final approval by staff.
What you need:
- Plat of Survey
- Structural Drawings or Brochure
- Cost Estimate
- HOA approval (if applicable)
Cost of Permit: $50.00 (for up to $8,000)
A permit is required prior to construction of any sheds.
- Sheds are strictly prohibited in front yards.
- Sheds can be placed within 3 ft. of a property line, provided that there are no easements.
- Sheds should be placed at a minimum of 6 ft. from the house.
- If the shed is located less than 6 ft. from the house, the shed must be code compliant (Contact Building Inspector).
- All structures (excluding driveways, sidewalks, pools, decks/patios, & fences) on a lot must cover no more than 30% of the total lot area.
- Whenever a project requires digging please contact JULIE, in advance, at: 1-800-892-0123, to mark underground utility lines.
- Sheds can be no taller than 15 ft. high.
- Assessor's Shed Statement
- Application For Building [PDF] (If Applicable)
- Residential Accessory Structures Review Form [PDF] (Required)
- Plumbing [PDF] (If Applicable)
- Heating, Cooling, Refrigeration & Ventilation Systems [PDF] (If Applicable)
- Electrical [PDF] (If Applicable)
Note: At two intersecting streets, alleys, and driveways, there are additional requirements that must be met to protect the visibility of automotive traffic, cyclists, riders, and pedestrians.
Joliet City Hall is located at:
150 W. Jefferson St.
Joliet, Il 60432